Friday, May 6, 2011

Worms

While I am waiting for the nyquil to kick in I thought I would share a story from last weekend...

Last weekend Katie, the head of the maternity side here, and I hosted seven friends from the ship. We barbecued a large barracuda and just talked all weekend. It was great.

On a side note, I have always had a small fear of creatures which may decide to crawl up my shower drain or even up my toilet. I have heard of stories of people going into their bathrooms and finding a snake which had crawled up their drains, or creatures crawling up shower drains. I don't hear of that in the states, but here it can happen, and it does and did.

So when my friends were here I was hoping to give a good impression of what life is like living off ship. I wanted to make it seem perfect so they would want to come back and visit me. Well late in the night on Saturday, before going to sleep, I went in to take a shower and the shower floor was covered in worms. Not cute little earthworms, not that I think earthworms are cute by the way, but small black wriggly nasty worms. Hundreds of them. It was absolutely disgusting. Even though it may have killed my chances of my friends returning, I had to show them. Ginger and Jane came in and together we tried to hose them back down the drain. Gross. All that happened was more came bubbling up. Gross again. Either the drain was clogged with hair or more of these gross worms. I didn't care to know either way so we left them and showered somewhere else.

Monday I told maintenance about them. They came to my rescue and told me the worms were coming up from the room below me. Gross. Gross. And gross. I haven't seen one since but I do keep looking down the drain when I shower to make sure no other living creatures are coming up...

No comments: