Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Birthday Weekend

Yesterday was my birthday. I will admit, this was possibly one of my favorite birthdays. Not just the actual day but this past birthday weekend was amazing. I went with eight friends back to Samso's, a place at the far end of Lakka beach, and we rented a house for the weekend. This trip I also became an African driver. I have driven in Niger but only on the hospital compound. Here, I drove down the crazy streets honking my horn at every person, at every car. I am told that as long as you honk your horn, if there is an accident then it is their fault since you warned them. I love that logic. 34 km total and no accidents. Admittedly, I kind of enjoyed it even. I still don't have enough guts to drive through the city though and I'm ok with that.

I woke up Saturday morning to the sound of heavy rains on my tin roof. Bummer. The rainy season has started and I was worried about that for the weekend. By the time my friends arrived from the ship the rains had stopped. We went by the store for some drinks and snacks for the weekend and made our way to Samso's. This great house I have stayed at before. Three bathrooms, two bedrooms, and many mattresses. Just about a two minute walk to the beach. Not bad. When we arrived it rained a bit again so naps became the ticket for the afternoon. Even after everyone woke up and the rains continued, we still ventured to the beach for a swim. Warm water. Big rain drops. Lovely.

Later in the day we set ourselves up under a small hut to watch the sunset and have dinner. Right before dinner came a man came to the table and said rain is on its way and we must move now. Um, ok. Twenty seconds later as we were in the midst of moving, the sky opened up and the rains poured down! He was right. We still enjoyed our barracuda and fries on the deck of a cabin though. One thing I was really looking forward to was a bonfire and smores. That's becoming a birthday tradition for me since I have been spending my birthdays in warmer climates. With all the rain on Saturday this wasn't an option. Back at the house though, someone had brought big candles so we roasted marshmallows over candles and had smores that way.

After we went to bed and started struggling with the heat, again, the rains came. Not only did the rains come, the wind did as well this time. I had positioned my bed right in front of the open door to hopefully get a cool breeze through the night. Never did I imagine this. I laid there and watched at the trees blew around, mangos fell, branches broke, and fear of a mango tree falling on the car worried me. It wasn't safe to move it so I just hoped for the best and it all came out ok in the end. This storm lasted a long time and the winds were incredible. The next morning it was easy to see the damage. On the beach there were to covers which had been torn up and they were laying on their tops. Leaves everywhere. Debris everywhere. Joseph, the man who runs Samso's and wanted me as his wife, said storms like this only happen once a year and they usally happen over three days. This year it all happened on one.

A day of swimming and exploring rocks and playing scrabble on the beach ensued before we packed up and headed home. Lovely weekend with great friends.

Yesterday was May 9th, my actual birthday. Hettie had baked me four cakes. I couldn't believe it! Two for the weekend and two to bring back with me to the AWC for yesterday. I frosted them and shared them with the patients. They were excited to have cake but when I asked if they liked it they all just said it was so sweet. The did sing happy birthday to me twice and that was nice. Another patient called me to wish me a happy birthday as well. After work I decided to go stand in maternity. Sometimes I do that to think. The screams and "WHY, WHY, WHY" always help me to ponder life. As soon as I got in there I knew I wanted to see a birth on my birthday. I was told twins were on the way! Yes! The girl in labor was named Sarah as well. Go figure! She had been in labor since 3am though and it was 5 now. So yeah, any minute! Or so I thought... I stood there and watched for about an hour and heard major screaming down the hall so I ran down there just to see a little girl being born. I was excited to see the placenta as well but it was taking too long and I wanted to see babies. I went back to Sarah and her rocking and saying "what is wrong? what is wrong?" Nothing was wrong. Just your first babies taking forever to celebrate their birthdays with me! I left to eat dinner and came back and she was still there...By 7:30 and an episiotomy later, the first little girl emerged! Kate wrapped her up and put her on mama's chest then gave the baby to me so they could work on baby B. What a cute bundle of baby! I wasn't able to stick around for the send birth but I went and visited them today and they are all doing well. Twin girls. Super cute!

To wrap up the day we had oreo milkshakes at Katies. A-m-a-z-i-n-g! Great way to wrap up the birthday weekend followed by a great birthday!

No comments: