Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hawa

I asked one of my nurses yesterday to write a patient story. I thought she did a great job especially since she wrote it as if it was the patient writing. Here is Hawa's story...


My name is Hawa Sheku. I am twenty five years old. I live in Gborbu Yawee chiefdom, Kailhaun district. I attended the Methodist primary school, Malayma Yawae. I stopped at class three when the war broke out in my village. That was the end of my schooling. I am a farmer and housewife but I want to learn a trade like hairdressing or dress maker, seamstress.

I am married to Sheku Ngebga. I was fourteen years of age when we got married. I became pregnant at fifteen and was happy. I have been pregnant twice and the second pregnancy gave me this VVF.

The start of the labor pains came for some time and bleeding followed. That was the time my family traveled with me to Kenema Government Hospital. I spent one night in labor pains and I was operated on for caesarean section by the doctor. I was in labor for two days overall. My husband did his best to bring me to the government hospital to save the life of my baby and myself but it was rather unfortunate that we lost the baby. He was alive for three days and on the forth post-operative day, I lost my baby. Also, that was the time I realized I had urine incontinence. At that moment I told my husband and we explained to the nurse who told the doctor. The doctor now explained to me what brought my problem, that during my prolonged labor the pressure of his head compressed my urethra and damaged it. He told me it was not his fault. He also told me about a hospital where they could fix it. It was only urine leaking from me, not feces.

My husband felt so bad because of the constraints, pain, finances and the loss of our son. My family members felt bad for me and since that day they have been having sympathy for me. My husband and my family supported me fully. I have had this problem for six years. The only problem now is that I don’t have a living child. I have never attempted VVF surgery before. This is my first time.

I heard about the Aberdeen Women’s Centre through the radio and a team from the centre picked me up and brought me here. I’ve been here for twelve days. When I came I was afraid I would not be healed. How was it going to work?

Now I know I am cured because since after my surgery I’m dry and observed no wetness. I am really cared for by the doctor, nurses, international staff, teacher and the other patients. My best friend here is Massah Saffa.

My husband will be very very happy. My relatives will also be happy. Some of my friends will be happy. Yes, they will welcome me.

I will be very happy to reach my home healed because I came sick.

No comments: