Friday, May 6, 2011

Nope

No beach day today. I feel like I have been hit by a truck. No, it's not some crazy African bug, I think I just have a cold that has hit me hard. Left work after lunch and have been in bed since. Sometimes this is a good place to be. It's hard to lay here and keep thinking about all I have to do down in the ward but it's hard to be on the ward when I don't have the strength to stand...

This past week was amusing. I hired three nurses and only one is still working here. On Tuesday two nurses started. One, the one still here, I'm very excited to see how she does. She has had a lot of experience in the OR and not much on the ward but she seems to be picking it up quick. The other nurse I hired who started on Tuesday was a sweet girl I interviewed two months ago. When she showed up to work I didn't recognize her. She had this big belly. I promise you, it was not there when I interviewed her. Within her first few minutes here she asked if we hire pregnant women. Oh, no. I asked when she is due and she told me next month. Oy. Small small thing which would have been nice to know a bit earlier. After the birth they get three months maternity leave. She promised me she would be back to work the day after her birth. This is her first child. Oy. I told her to come back three months after her birth. I had one other girl to hire who I had interviewed the same time as the pregnant nurse. When I called to offer her the job I asked if she was pregnant. She said no. I asked if there was anything stopping her from taking the job now. She said no. I explained to her it is a part time position but as soon as a full time one opens, which one will be soon hopefully, she can have it. She said great, she wanted the job. Lovely. She came in. We did a day of paperwork and she was to start the next day. Thirty minutes before she was to start she called me to clarify...yes, after this month of training, we could call you when we needed you to work. We had gone over that numerous times. She said great, that wasn't a problem. She would be in to work in thirty minutes. Ten minutes later she texted me and said I was too nice a person that she didn't want to tell me in person that she didn't want the job. She would only want a full time position. Thanks anyway.

It really surprised me, this second nurse who just would take a full time position. She is twenty four. Fresh out of nursing school and jobs are not easy to come by. She has been sitting at home doing nothing for the last two months waiting for a job to come to her. It did. Not a bad job at that. I can understand wanting a full time position but in a country where I have a huge pile of resumes sitting on my desk from nurses pleading for a job, it just really surprises me. Maybe she has other reasons she was too scared to tell me as well... Back to the drawing board...

No comments: