Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Screening

Today I went and helped with a screening day. I worked at the gate as a pre-screener to sort out who would be a possible candidate for a surgery on the ship. When we arrived there was already a long line of people ready to be seen. With the ship only being here for six months and with two of our operating rooms out of commission for this outreach, we had to be pretty specific in what we were looking for. I saw tons of men with hernias, and even babies, which we all had to turn away. So many goiters which we also were not able to help. Many people showed up with abdominal pain or headaches or medical problems which we also had to turn away because they were not surgical candidates. I saw some babies with cleft palates and I heard one today had a cleft lip which we were able to schedule surgeries for. I looked up at one man and let him go right in. All I could see was the top part of a very large tumor which was pushing his nose up and the side of his face. The rest of his face was covered by a scarf. I heard they scheduled him for surgery on Monday already. Children with bowed legs or orthopedic issues were also able to be seen today. Some people with burn contractures which can hopefully be released. So many beautiful people! It breaks my heart every time I have to say no to a patient. There is only so much that can be done physically in such a short period of time. I can only pray for the ones which were unable to be seen, that God will make a way for them to find healing.

No comments: