Thursday, February 11, 2010

Getting the ward ready

We have begun! Everything that had been tied down for the sail is now getting untied and everything shoved away in boxes in corners so it wouldn't get broken in the sail is now getting unpacked and ready to go! This excites me!!! All the wards and operating rooms, and every piece of floor in the hospital is needing to be mopped, stripped, scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed, scraped, vacuumed, mopped, mopped, sealed and waxed and waxed. All the walls and counters and cupboards and ceilings (like in the picture), are all getting cleaned with bleach also. Lots of hard work but great nurses to work with to get it done.
Today I got off the ship and walked for about 45 minutes towards the city. Never made it the whole way. I guess it's further than we think! It was just great to get off the ship and start to see some of Togo. Beautiful people. More exploring this weekend! I also learned that I do not know a lick of french and I learned that the Togolese guards at the gate WILL keep us safe. I always feel safe on the ship with the Gerkas, but you never know what it will be like when we get to a port. Living in a port always comes with its share of interesting people.

2 comments:

Michael and Stacey said...

I LOVE the pic!!!!

cheryl said...

Haha, that takes me back to the days of standing on my tippie toes trying to put those hooks on the ceiling to hang the curtains. It was a reach! I miss the ship, but I don't particularly miss being an inch too short:)