Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tokeh


I just got back from an amazing weekend. Amazing in so many ways. First, this past week had many challenges and I really needed some time away. Second, I got to explore a new area I have not been to. Third, I met some new people and got to spend quality time with friends. And fourth, I got to sleep in a tent last night and I absolutely LOVED it!


I went camping at Tokeh beach. I borrowed a tent and we set up two tents in a field right off the beach and the others just slept under their mosquito nets. It was so relaxing. The taxi ride there and back was something that, to tell you the truth, doesn't really phase me anymore. We rode in a mini van taxi. Ok, not a problem, but the sliding door kept falling off. On the way back today a guy had to sit next to the door and hold it on while we drove. Yeah, no joke. There we so many holes and due to the lack of door not being fully secure, all the dust from the un-paved roads came right into the van. I showered when I got home but even afterwards I was still rubbing the red dirt off.

The taxi door fell off, again.

So Saturday afternoon we arrived at our campsite a few hours later than expected. Saturdays are cleaning days in Freetown. It's usually just once a month but on the 27th of April Sierra Leone is celebrating 50 years so cleaning days are every Saturday for now. On cleaning days no one is allowed to drive from 6am-12pm. If you are found driving you can get ticketed. Everyone should be outside cleaning the streets so we had to wait until this was finished to leave.

Campsite

When we got to our campsite it didn't take long to realize that right next door there was going to be an outing. An outing is a party which wouldn't be a party without large speakers, loud music, and lots and lots of people. It started about six and at 2am the music was still going. We walked down at about ten to see what was happening and there was dancing and people everywhere. At 11 the live music was going to start and at 12 the beauty pagent was going to begin. A couple of the guys with us stayed for the festivities but I was ready for bed. It was so refreshing to sleep in a tent! I didn't get much sleep at all with the music next door and the thin yoga mat I slept on didn't give me much comfort but honestly I didn't mind. Just sleeping in a tent was great for my soul.


No comments: