Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A 50th Celebration


Today marks the 50th anniversary of Sierra Leone's independence. You are not allowed to forget it. For the past weeks everything has been getting painted green white and blue. I walked to the beach last night to watch fireworks, which never happened, and the two roundabouts by the centre look like Christmas with lights and flags and freshly painted cement. Driving down the roads you are met by traders selling green, white and blue necklaces, buttons, t-shirts, pens, underwear... you name it. Ann Gloag, the founder of the AWC is here right now for the celebrations as well. I walked onto the ward yesterday to the sound of the patients standing in a circle waving their freshly painted flags and singing the national anthem. Monday night a group of us went to dinner at Alex's, a restaurant close to the centre. Stepping out onto the street was crazy. The amount of people walking up from the beach as we walked down was incredible. The mix of having it be Easter monday and celebrations for the 50th brought the entire country to Lumly beach, the beach just down the road from the centre. I felt like a fish swimming up stream with the amount of people I had to dodge. The funniest thing I saw was when I passed by the gate to the OPC, the children's centre here. All my VVF women were standing there just staring out the gate at the mass of people. They love to people watch as much as we do.
The women make their Sierra Leone flags.

Easter was great. I spent four nights in a guest cabin on the ship. It was such a great retreat. Friends, food, scrabble, movies... The past few weeks have been challenging and this weekend was a great getaway. As soon as I set foot on the ship I dropped my bags and headed to deck 7 for foot washing, then to a communion station and time in the garden of gethsemane to just sit in the quietness and presence of God.

Sandra, Mikey, Francis and I decorated Easter eggs.
.

No comments: