Friday, April 8, 2011

Marijoula

I was reminded today why I am here. The gladi gladi ceremony was a total of one patient. She was beautiful though. She also spoke Susu, a more common dialect in Guinea, not here in Freetown. During devotions she never sang because she didn't know the words. She never spoke because she didn't have anyone to speak with. During the singing today she just sat there and cried. At first I didn't know if they were sad or happy tears because I knew her catheter had just come out and I didn't know if she was still dry after that. At the end of a gladi gladi ceremony, the women usually start a song and others join in with them. When Marijoula sang, no one could sing along. It was just her. Her voice was beautiful. I cried along with her. The rest of the morning she couldn't stop smiling. It was a thing of beauty.

In the craziness and overwhelming frustration of this week and at times my wanting to just pack it up and go, standing there, seeing Marijoula sing and cry, I just thought, this is it. This is why I am here. To be a small part of this beauty.

Oh, and she is dry.

2 comments:

cheryl said...

I haven't checked in for a while, but this is such a good post to start back with! It's been a long time, but I remember the powerful emotions that go with VVF, tears of joy as well as tears of sadness at time. So glad to know hers were of joy!

Unknown said...

The little things that we take for granted can be life changing for others. Well done my friend. May God bless you as you continue the work that He has called you too:) Love you....