Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday

It's Friday. I have to say that not only am I excited that today was the royal wedding and my dad's birthday, but it's Friday. I don't like 'living for the weekend'. I don't like living, hoping the weekend would come faster. I think that if you live like that then what are you doing in your life? I do believe you need to live each day, not just in anticipation for your days off from work. I will admit though, today I am really glad it's Friday even though I am sitting on my bed still thinking of all I have left to do in the ward or in my office. This week, oh, this week... Started off amazing. Spent all last weekend on the ship with friends and chocolate. Tuesday was going to be a big screening day here at the centre for VVF in the Western Province. One woman showed up, thanks for sending her Sandra. We did have seven women to screen which came from the screening trip the week before to Kambia. Three were suitable for surgery. Oh, Monday Ann Gloag arrived as well, the founder of the Freedom From Fistula Foundation, the founder of this centre. I honestly didn't feel much stress with her coming. I know I am here doing the best I can and that's all I can be doing. Wednesday was the 50th birthday of Sierra Leone. Music and celebrations galore. Wednesday, two nurses quit. Today, one more. When I found Sia's resignation letter taped to my computer I had to laugh. I laughed only because I knew that if I took too long to think about it, I would cry. Sia is the woman I have been training up to be the ward supervisor. She had been doing an amazing job in that position and I knew she was going to be the right person for the job. I was mistaken. Two more nurses as well... I had interviewed a few women not too long ago so I already had some in mind and at the top of my pile to hire. I found as I was calling them to offer them positions that hiring people is so much harder than firing. As it is anywhere, some people can interview really well but come to work and it's a different story. I really pray that the two nurses I hired today will fit well into the team and will be hard workers. Now I am on the prowl to find someone else to fill the position of ward supervisor. A national nurse. Please, please, please, join me in prayer for this.

On top of it all I am deworming. I know that probably sounds gross but I think it's time. I just hope this doesn't mean I am going to start gaining weight...

I have to share part of todays passage from My Utmost for His Highest:

To be certain of God means that we are uncertain in all our ways, we do not know what a day may bring forth. This is generally said with a sigh of sadness; it should be rather an expression of breathless expectation. We are uncertain of the next step, but we are certain of God. Immediately we abandon to God, and do the duty that lies nearest, He packs our life with surprises all the time.

So, so true...

No comments: