Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mechanic

In the mornings we meet at 8:00 every day for a time of singing and devotion. The last couple weeks it's been a bit more exciting because the centre has hired a new mechanic. SHE is a woman and I LOVE it! I love seeing her at 8:00 every morning in her blue and orange jump suit, ready to climb under the cars and get to work. In a country where women are so oppressed and rarely given status, to have a woman in a role that is traditionally for men, it makes me smile every day when I see her.

Our numbers are up. I don't like playing the numbers game. I think that even if we just help one woman we are doing our job. The slight problem with that is that if we don't help more then our funding won't be there. For almost the last week we have had over 30 beds occupied. It's been great to see considering two weeks ago we were down to less than one ward. It's great to see so many women!

Sia has been gone for almost a month now. She was on leave then had to fly her father to Ghana for medical treatment. He is doing better and she should return soon. I'm really excited for her return for many reasons. First, I enjoy working with her and seeing her grow into a place of leadership as the ward supervisor. And second, I am tired. Trying to do her job and mine is a lot. Constantly trying to stay on top of things like restocking the meds and supplies and trying to keep things clean and organized in the ward where when you come in the next day and it's all a mess again, and no one seems to notice to trying to figure out where women are and how we can get to them... I like the work don't get me wrong, I'm just tired.

This past weekend Hettie and Ginger came to stay with me for two days. It was great. Scrabble and dutch blitz and chocolate and good friends to sit and chat with. Just what I needed...

Marijoula left today to return to Guinea. I love watching them leave. They leave as new people. Stronger and more sure of themselves.

No comments: