Friday, January 7, 2011

Sierra Leone or Bust

I’m back...to the land of VVF, heat and humidity, being tsk-ed at as I walk down the street, cockroaches, long hand shakes, sweat, urine, the unknown, dust, bars on my windows, barbed wire, ants, white sandy beaches, crowded taxis, dirty feet...I am back to the continent of Africa but to Sierra Leone for the first time. I arrived three days ago without much hassle. My luggage was underweight and it all made it! The pastor who was to meet me in the airport met me. He just walked up and said my name and we found each other easily. He helped me exchange money and get me on to the water taxi. When you land in Sierra Leone, the airport is on the other side of a bay so you have a few options: drive the five or six hours down a dangerous road to get to the city, take a helicopter, or take a water taxi. I opted for the water taxi. I had to laugh when I got in it. It was a pimped out water taxi. It was lighted on the inside with christmas lights and in the corner was a hispanic soap opera playing. There were many other expats on the taxi and we were all laughing by the time we go to the other side...a very amusing experience.

I’m here for a year. This is the longest I have been anywhere longer than seven months in the past seven years. I have my own room and if I look out to the left I can see the city of Freetown otherwise I just see rooftops. There is a beach about a ten minute walk away. That’s as far as I’ve made it beyond these walls so far. I don’t think I would swim there but it’s a nice place to walk to. The clinic is separated from the team house by a wall so I have a really short commute.

My first three days I have spent with Anna getting handover. I will be taking over her job and she leaves this weekend so Monday will be a big day. It has been, to say the least, very overwhelming, as any job seems to be when you first start. The Aberdeen Women’s Center (AWC) is where I am working. There are basically three areas to this clinic. There is the VVF side, which I will be working in, the maternity clinic where babies are delivered daily, and the outpatient pediatric clinic. Everyone I have met here has been extremely welcoming and supportive. The past three days have been trying to fill my head with every part of this place. I’m tired now. I'll have the weekend off and start fresh on Monday!

1 comment:

dona said...

Hi Sarah,I accidentally found your blog and read your latest post. I wish you the best for your great job. Dona