Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Get Belly

There are two women on staff here who are trained to do advocacy teaching with the VVF women. I sat in on the first half of the day with them. Fourteen VVF women sitting in a circle talking, I felt like it was a support group, which it is in many ways. One thing I have noticed about Freetown is the large number of NGOs in the area. When you go out you can't help but pass numerous white land rovers will a different charity scribbled on the side. One of those charities is Health Poverty Action. To be honest I really don't know much about them but what I do know is that they have put together this great advocacy training program for the fistula women for when they return home. The women are taught how to advocate for other women they may find in the same situation they are in, leaking urine and alone. Not only are they taught what to do if they meet one of these women and where to send them, but they are taught what to do if they meet a woman who "get belly", is pregnant. If the woman is in labor and if they see the sun two times, one-night-two, and they still have not delivered, they must get them to a clinic or hospital where they have trained doctors.

While they were sitting in the circle, Florence had the women go around and say how long their labors lasted. I have heard these numbers before and see them daily as I enter them into the database in the computer, but to go around a circle and hear each woman say: two days, one day, three days, seven days, two days, four days, six days, ten days, three days, one day, seven days, four days, three days, two days... makes it so real. When she asked one woman how far it is from her home to the nearest health clinic of any sort, thirty miles was the answer. For most of us thirty miles isn't anything. That's a drive into Tacoma from Vaughn. Into Spokane from Coeur d' Alene. Imagine not having a car though. There is no way. And if you are in active labor...

After the training the women are given a book about Fata. It is written in simple language so some of the women can read it if they have had any schooling. Fata becomes pregnant and gets a fistula. It tells her story and it tells what needs to happen next and what could be done about it. The women can use it as a tool when they get back to their villages to help prevent fistulas.

This evening I was walking through the ward and I heard someone reading, slowly, but trying, and it was Mariama. Mariama is sixteen and only got her fistula two months ago so it is too early for her to have surgery yet. She will be with us until it is time though. She needs to be "built up" so she will be better physically for surgery. Vitamins, ensure and three meals a day will help with that. I sat with her outside for a bit this evening. I was trying to hear her story but the nurses who were translating for me got busy. I had her open her book on Fata and read instead. She speaks Mende and small small Krio but she knows her alphabet. She is slow reading but not bad. If she got to a word she didn't know she would spell it without any problem and usually figure it out from there. Such a beautiful girl. I'm sure I'll share more about her later.

Esther left today, the girl I wrote about two posts back. She wasn't able to sit in on the advocacy training so before she left I pleaded with her that if she heard of anyone with piss problems from obstructed labor to send them in. She said she would and I know she will. That girl is a strong one. So funny too. She was helping me with my Krio which is still non-existent. She is still wet but will be back in two weeks for a checkup. For now, it's back to school for her.

1 comment:

lindsay said...

love reading about the advocacy program. Thanks for keeping up with your blog!