Thursday, January 27, 2011

Burns Night

Who or what in the world is Burns night/Burns supper? I had never heard of this guy until a few days ago and tonight I had haggis for the first time, possibly the last. It's not that I didn't like it. It honestly didn't taste that bad but with every bite I had to consciously tell myself not to think about what I could possibly be eating. Jude, the manager of the clinic, is Scottish and she brought it back with her from her last trip home. It looked like a massive, massive sausage. When it was brought out it had to be walked around the table and we all stood in silence. Then Jude stabbed it with a dagger. Quite possibly the most random thing I have seen since arriving in Sierra Leone. After dinner Mikey read his poetry. Mikey isn't Scottish but I guess this is what you do at a Burns supper.

As random as this all was, this is something I really love about living in this sort of community. We all come from different places from around the globe and yet we all bring something so unique...and sometimes so strange. The funny thing is too, is that I was invited to another Burns supper/poetry reading tomorrow night. I'll have to let you know how that one goes...

1 comment:

cheryl said...

Funny. I said pretty much the same thing on your FB page before reading that you thought the taste was OK, but not what was in it. I went to see Shonagh in Scotland a little over a year ago. I had some and loved the flavor. Almost gagged thinking about what it was, though:) There are a lot of things I miss about the ship, but the blending of so many cultures and personalities is one of the things I miss most. It's tough at times, but so much fun too. Enjoy Burns night number 2!