Saturday, December 6, 2008

Two posts in one day!!!

So here I am at the internet cafe...again...

I have to share this story. It just may be the highlight of my trip so far. After we left the internet cafe before, we set out in search of another vineyard. Along the way we found this place that looked like one so we went in. It was dark in there but there were lots of the large wooden vats to hold wine so we figured we were in the right place. This man comes up to us and starts speaking really fast in Spanish. No comprende, at all. Somehow he figured out we wanted to look around so he starts walking really fast and leads us up this crazy old staircase. He has us walk out onto the top of one of the vats. I was hoping that you could swim in wine because I was expecting the top to fall in with all of us up there. He pulled the cork out of the top and had us all stick our finger in to taste it. Kind of gross but that is wine in the process. The whole time he is with us he is talking away...no comprende. We just smile and nod. Then he leads me out onto this crazy old board that is from one vat to another, pretty far up off the ground, so I could have a photo op. From this point on it was all about the photo op and he made sure we got it. We all took our turn on the crazy board that could have broken from the weight of a piece of baby corn and then finally down the crazy staircase. He then took a ladder, put it up against a vat and showed us how to pose for the best picture. This guy was so random it was great. We went back to the front desk and he gave us all a small bottle of red wine for free. He did not want any money for anything. He let us taste the white wine and it was pretty good. I bought a really large bottle of it for 1000 pesos, or about $1.50. Later we noticed a bug floating in it... protein. This guy made our day. It was such a random 20 minutes of our day. He did not understand a word of what we were saying and we had no clue what he was saying but it was great. I just had to share this. I hope you are all well and having lots of snow wherever you are. I have a pretty good sunburn going on...

No comments: