Friday, July 18, 2008

Wedding Preperations

Yesterday Henry's mother, auntie and brother arrived from Nigeria. Mampho's family had their welcoming ceremony for them which started with the slaughtering of a sheep. It is custom for the Xhosa people to give a sheep to the family of the in-laws as a welcoming into their family. It was a really great ceremony and sign of true welcoming and acceptance into their family. After the sheep, the African beer, mqombothi, was consumed. It's the home made fermented beer. You pass the common cup and drink it down on one knee out of respect for the family and ancestors. From there, there was singing and dancing and laughing well into the night. After the sheep was cooked, they then cook the intestines and organs and everyone digs in. I tried a bit of the stomach, after a bit of pressure, and that was really all I could take. I'm glad everyone else loved it! I was just being a good guest and allowing others to enjoy!!! Right now Mampho is getting the first step of her hair done. I have to say, I have never realized how much trouble it is for my black friends and their hair! Mampho keeps telling me beauty takes pain, but wow! So tomorrow is the wedding and then I'll be spending a couple days with another good friend here in Cape Town before heading up the coast. Hopefully it will warm up a bit before I take off on my safari!

No comments: