Friday, August 31, 2012

Crops and Painting


On my walk home from work today Ashley pointed out how tall the crops are getting. I am 5'8'' tall so you can see the height. These crops are huge! We have been getting a lot of rain which is fabulous for the crops but not so fabulous for Niamey. If you have not heard, Niamey is flooding. It has completely flooded the SIM school there and they are having to look for another place. Please pray for Niamey and the flooding. It has left many homeless and destroyed many crops with the rising river. Check out the BBC news on it here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19384377


Last week we painted again. Again, when I told the women to paint whatever they wanted they giggled and just looked at me before they painted random shapes. I painted the picture in the upper right then they all started copying mine. I think I will make some postcards as samples and see what they do with those as far as copying them. I really love what they came up with!


I don't eat a lot of meat here. When I go home, one of my major food cravings is for Red Robin. Here, we pulled over and got guinea fowl from this guy. It was pretty pretty good. There are some things I continue to struggle with food wise. Meat is one of them. I was excited that when I bought this because  he cut it up and cooked it longer on the fire. When I took it home and started pulling if off the bone I hit a vein and blood came spurting out. Overall it was good meat, but I don't know if I will buy meat again here.

1 comment:

Hettie said...

The moringa plant is amazing. I learnt about in ECHO in Florida. Yours looks healthy. Do you like the taste? The corn also amazing makes you look short.