Thursday, February 3, 2011

Radio

Today I took a trip to Freetown. I always enjoy getting out especially when I can take a driver and not have to fight for a taxi or poda poda. Francis drove and Fatmata, one of the screening nurses, came with me. We were on a mission to get on the radio. First stop: SLBC. I have no idea what that stands for. Fatmata seemed to know everyone we met. One woman I was told was famous on the television in Freetown. I thought for a second if I should ask for her autograph but I held back. We found our way up three flights of stair to an office. We were talking with a man about doing a radio show to talk about fistula and get the word out about the AWC. We are scheduled for next Thursday for an "interactive show". I think that means people can call in and ask questions.

Next we hit Star Radio. I'm glad Fatmata was with me because there was no way I would go up to that place alone. We walked through a door which opened up into a small garbage dump then through another sketchy door and up some narrow stairs...good thing I trust my nurses. Star Radio already had a jingle done from before so we just paid for it to continue then got out of there.

Democracy Radio was our final stop. We will do another interactive session with them on Tuesday. I will go along as moral support but due to my lack of Krio I will not be speaking.

I hope the radio will bring in patients. Usually if you just walk outside you hear a radio blasting from somewhere. Sitting in a taxi, you can't get away from it. We are discharging our patients and not as many are coming in. I don't pray for more VVF patients but I pray that those who are wet and need help can find their way here.

No comments: