Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Month One in Sierra Leone

Let me take a moment and reflect on the happenings of my first month in Sierra Leone...

  • January 3rd I arrived. It’s not hard enough to just land and find your baggage in the midst of hundreds of people, but then having to get on a water taxi to get to the mainland. The adventure had only just begun...
  • Was welcomed into an amazing group of people.
  • Visited some of the most beautiful beaches around!
  • Ate some of the greatest seafood!
  • Was crammed and pushed and folded into poda podas and taxis.
  • Sat in traffic...
  • Sat in traffic...
  • Sat in traffic...
  • Met some amazing women with fistulas.
  • Cried in front of my boss.
  • Laughed.
  • Stressed.
  • Prayed.
  • Sent away women in tears knowing where I was sending them was not where they wanted to go but knew there were no other options.
  • Led my first staff meeting.
  • Wanted a dog.
  • Taught my first lecture on hyponatremia.
  • Ate African food for lunch five days a week.
  • Shook my tumba.
  • Danced, and not just at gladi gladi.
  • Watched season 1 of Bones.
  • Got a job title.
  • Questioned what I am doing here.
  • Questioned why I ever questioned what I am doing here.
  • Saw patients wet.
  • Saw patients dry.
  • Saw patients somewhere in between.
  • Learned about #2 and #3 plugs.
  • Slept under a mosquito net every night.
  • Woke up at 0230 covered in mosquito bites.
  • Breathed.
  • Forgot to take my doxi for three days.
  • Went to my first management meeting.
  • E-mailed the girl in this job before me with tons of questions.
  • Made some great friends.
  • Took a shower for longer than two minutes in Africa.
  • Ate haggis...twice.
  • Learned to play carcassonne.
  • Saw one monkey.
  • Made my first roster.
  • Fixed my first roster.
  • Still fixing my first roster.
  • Witnessed pure joy.
  • Witnessed pure heartbrokenness.
  • Ate my first lobster.
  • Was woken up at 5am to be told there were no more diapers.
  • Learning more and more what it really means to trust God.
  • Walked into the ward and saw a patient standing directly in front of a large fan holding her shirt above her head.
  • Watched an ultrasound.
  • Saw brand new babies.
  • Bonded with a nurse over scrubbing cabinets.
  • Sweat.
  • Got filthy from just siting in a car.
  • Reunited with friends I had met on a ship last year.
  • Joined two Bible studies.
  • I think I may have quit one Bible study.
  • Sat and talked with patients without using words.
  • Heard awful screaming from the labor ward.
  • Floated down a river into the ocean.
  • Learned very small small krio.

And tomorrow I may be on the radio.

No comments: