Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Weather

What do you talk about when there is nothing else to talk about?

The weather.

It's good there is nothing to talk about. Yesterday Mali reached its 42 day period without any new ebola cases so it is considered cleared! Wonderful news! Last week here in Liberia, only 8 new cases in the country! Again, fabulous! There were even two days where there were no reported cases. We are still getting suspect cases in but nothing confirmed, which is great news for the country.

So, the weather is changing here. Up until yesterday I would have to wear a sweatshirt to the board rounds in the morning because it got so cold overnight. When I would work nights and come to check on things at 1am or 5am, the nurses and staff would be dressed in down coats and wool hats. A sweatshirt was enough for me. I enjoyed the change in temperature. Today, though, I went down for board rounds at 7am and by the time I got there I was already sweating. After rounds and the morning meeting I ran back to my room and got on weather.com. I actually found Kakata, Liberia! 8am and it was 77 degrees with 94% humidity... did I say it was at 8am???

I worked the morning shift today so I was dressed in PPE and in the unit by 8:30. Before I even left the dressing room, sweat was filling my goggles. Within fifteen minutes my goggles were fogging up so much that my only respite were the sweat beads running from the top of my goggles, clearing a way for me to see. Gross, maybe, but I was thankful for the sweat so I could see!

No comments: