Monday, December 22, 2014

Arrival

After 36 hours of traveling I made it to Liberia without much hassle. My luggage even arrived which I’m told does not have often so I should be proud of that. I was pretty anxious on my flights here, not knowing what I would be walking into but as soon as the plane touched down my nerves were calmed. I had arrived and there was no turning back. 

Stepping off the plane I smelled it. I smelled Liberia. It’s hard to put into words what that smell is, but it smelled of Liberia. Before entering the airport, you washed your hands with bleach water and had your temperature taken. Only then were you allowed inside. I made it through and quickly found others with IMC. I shook hands with another newcomer and realized that was the last time I would be shaking hands here. Physical contact is not allowed as it can spread the virus. As we were driving down the road I had to laugh to myself. So many memories came back from seven years ago when I was here last. People with their hand out, shaking it to get a taxi. Driving at night, you are to flash your brights when you are close to the oncoming car so they know you are there (I never understood that). The large billboards which I remember having election information or condom use on them were now covered with information on ebola. 


Yesterday morning I went into the ebola unit for the first time. I was in there for about forty minutes and that was long enough for me for the first time. Getting suited up was a chore but there were many people there to help. Not the slightest skin could be showing. You had people to tie you, tape up your gloves, check and double check you were safe to enter. I appreciated that. It’s not because I am new that all the help was there, it is the way it is done, even for an experienced ebola nurse. It’s the same thing coming out of the unit. You stand with your hands up as you are sprayed with bleach water. Another person then tells you step by step what you do to remove your PPE, protective gear. After every step your gloved hands are washed with bleach water. When you finally have everything off and your hands are washed and boots cleaned, you change your scrubs. Drenched in sweat. Soaked. Many of the Liberian nurses would come out and not have a drop on them. Maybe my body will get used to this too, but for now, drenched sweaty scrubs it is. 

No comments: