Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Baby got back!

I have so much to write about but it seems like the days fly by so fast! I will share just a quick story now and try to write more this weekend since I will have a few days off.

I have been working now as a charge nurse which comes with its own challenges and moments of excitement. Yesterday was my first day shift in this position and I was getting pretty frustrated at the computer. I was trying to get all the new patients entered in and for the life of me I couldn't get the fonts to match or the size of the typing to do what I wanted. In the midst of all this I looked to my left and standing there was Monique, a four year old patient on the ward. She has become quite the cuddler. If a new person walks into the ward, she will raise her hands up to be picked up and held by anyone. I was working quite a bit of the morning with her on my lap trying to keep her from typing on the keyboard. At this point, though, when I looked over and saw her standing there I noticed she had a baby doll in one hand and her blanket in the other. When she knew I had seen her, she walked over to me and turned around. She proceeded to bend over, throw her doll on her back and hand me her blanket. As all the mommas carry them on their backs, Monique wanted to carry her baby on her back. I tied the baby on and obviously didn't do it right because she looked at me, looked down at how I tied it, looked up and me and back down, then handed me the other two corners of the blanket so I could tie it correctly so the baby would be better supported and wouldn't slip out the bottom. After it was all tied correctly, she went about her business as if she was the momma carrying her baby on her back. It definitely made my morning and helped to calm my frustrations a bit!

The wards can be pretty busy at times, but when you take the time to look around at all the different patients and see what each individual has to offer, it really is life changing!

No comments: