Thursday, July 15, 2010

Danja

I thought I would take a moment to fill you in on my life after Togo. It's only the first two weeks after Togo, but that's a start. More to come later on my life after two weeks after Togo...

My time here on the ship is starting to wrap up and I can't believe how quickly the past six months have flown by! I leave two weeks from today and I feel like there is so much I haven't done or seen but those feelings are always swept over by the memories of the things I have seen and experienced and tasted and seen and touched.

In two weeks I head to Danja, a small town in Niger. I am flying there with three other amazing nurses I have met here on the ship. We will meet up with Dr Steve, the surgeon we had here on the ship for the season of VVF. He works with The Worldwide Fistula Fund and they are building a VVF clinic in Danja. When this clinic is complete they will have a 42 bed fistula ward! That is so exciting for Niger which is one of the worlds poorest countries and has so many women suffering with fistulas. Click here to see some pictures of the site and where it will be. Here is a picture I took from The Worldwide Fistula Fund website which shows the current SIM hospital and the outline on the left is where the fistula hospital will be.


Because the clinic is not yet complete, WFF partners with SIM, another NGO, which has a leper hospital on the same grounds where the VVF clinic is being built. They give WFF use of their operating theater a few times a year for two weeks at a time so Dr Steve can bring a team in to do surgeries. I will be working with Lindsay as a ward nurse while Ginger and Alainie will be working in the operating room.

Please keep us all in your prayers during this time. Pray for safety and health for us all. For protection from dehydration and the heat and anything man might throw in our paths. Please pray for the ten women who will be having surgery. For physical and emotional healing. That we all can meet the women where they are at.

No comments: